Training for a 5K

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Yes! I am training for a 5K. How exciting, yeah?
I haven't done a 5K in about a year. I did my first two last year when I worked for a financial institution. I had my running buddies and my gym pal to cheer me on. The funny thing about being in a town where you're all alone, you don't have anyone to motivate you. You constantly have the mirror reminding you of all the things that you could be doing; no positive reenforcement on what you have been doing. It's a constant struggle. I figure the best way to keep on going is to have something to strive for and a 5K seems like a great fit.

For those who don't know what a 5K is... it's a 5-kilometer race but for American purposes, it's 3.1-mile race. It doesn't seem like that much. To put it in NYC persepctive, it's running from the bottom of Central Park to the top of Central Park/Columbia University... and maybe 3 or 4 blocks thereafter. 
Here is a Google Map for my visual readers!
I'm so stoked and it's great that my bestie, B, is supporting me. He knows that this will get me going. Maybe you can find a 5K and we can train together! We can be each others #fitsporation.

To start, I'm going to the minute per minute Run/Walk up to 5 minutes. I will be doing this for the first week and I'll keep pushing every week. If you can't follow this regimine, it's okay. Make it your own but be sure push yourself! I have 6 weeks to prepare and I'm going to do it!

WEEK ONE
5 minute warm-up/stretch
1 min walk - 1 min run
2 min walk - 2 min run 
3 min walk - 3 min run 
4 min walk - 4 min run 
5 min walk - 5 min run 
5 minute cooldown/stretch

Drop a comment and let me know how its going! I'll keep you posted on my progress. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

.

Get GxS Daily

Enter your email address: