Find Your Soul

Tuesday, June 09, 2015

The words on the walls of the 92nd West SoulCycle Studio
I was offered a free class from the SoulCycle team. For those of you that don't know, SoulCycle is an indoor cycling class. It's extremely fun. With the combination of upbeat music, a supportive coach, and really cool lockers... It will leave you wanting more.

I woke up at 7:35am slamming the snooze button at least 8 times before rolling myself out of bed. Slushishly walking across my wood floor towards my mirror, I see my headband and biking outfit all in place. In retrospect, my last bike ride was probably in 2006, around the time that I started high school. I had no idea what to expect but I did expect to get sore.

I take the A train to the 1 train and walk toward 92nd Street. At the top of the store you see SoulCycle with a bright yellow wheel. It just screams "fun" and "cycle". What a sight!

The SoulCycle Logo
Everyone was so inviting and welcoming. The SoulCycle staff were extremely encouraging and excited for me to be there. I met the coach named Michael, a real athletic guy; tall, dark and handsome. If you needed a reason to work harder, he was it. After the warm welcome, I was given cycling shoes and taken to my numbered bike (31).  I clicked shoes into the pedals and away I went! My coach was super inspirational. There was never a dull moment, I felt as if I could go forever. The music was perfect. It went with every kind of cycling we did: intervals or speed training. Don't be fooled, this was a full body workout, they added small 3 pound weight to use for upper body strength. It doesn't seem like much but when you're tired, it's enough. They even give you a towel for when you sweat. Nice, right?

It being my first time, I was tired. All I did for the rest of the day was sleep. My body was not used to it. However, it was nice to break out of my normal routine and do a completely different workout. I will say, I was sore and felt it for a couple of days thereafter. To be transparent, because I was new to this workout, when the coach asked us to turn the dial up for resistance, I did not. I didn't want to exert myself or hurt myself in the process. But as you can tell, no resistance was enough for me.

Would I recommend it to friends? Absolutely. If you're looking for something different from your normal workout, I think this is for you. Instead of happy hour at the bar, why not do this with your girlfriends. It's a fun, healthy alternative that I think everyone will love. I've already recommended it to my sister. When my mom comes to visit, I'll ask her to tag along. Check it out and let me know what you think!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

.

Get GxS Daily

Enter your email address: