Metamorphosis and Dance

Tuesday, March 22, 2016



"One and two and three and four. Five, six, seven and eight and..."

This past weekend, I decided to take a hip hop class and those steps rang in my ears like Top 40s hit song. Not because it was catchy, but he missed some "and's". Did you catch that?

"One and two and three and four and five and six and seven and eight and..."

There were changes that I wasn't prepared for. I was a dancer growing up. I did three years of ballet, seven years of tap, a year of jazz, and some theatre dancing here and there. But with hip hop, it's subjective. My instructor didn't feel the need to add the "and". And after I while, I didn't seem to mind. Change has never phased me because I know it's how life goes.

Like dance class, change can come easy. But the most important moments in life are when you go through a metamorphosis. I know I'm in the process when I lay in bed and listen to 311's Greatest Hits '93–'03. I can remember every single moment I listened to that album on repeat. I first listened to it before I knew my parents were getting a divorce. I listened to it before I realized that I would find my first love. In grad school, Flowing touched my soul before I made the decision to move to New York City.

It's a funky place to be because you know something is happening, but you don't know what. The wheels are turning, but you're stuck. You feel the most hopeful and the most empty. To make matters worse, it can be the most grueling because there are people around you that test you and your limits. What are you willing to take and how far are you willing to go? During metamorphosis, you don't exactly have a choice: you just go along with it. Because if you don't, it prolongs the process, and it can become more painful than it needs to be.

With any metamorphosis, you'll have naysayers. Whether blunt or passive, they will come along and steal the little bit of joy that you've scrounged up along the way. It can be as small as a sly comment or as big as someone stealing your time to shine. Do you know how frustrating that can be? People will go as far as to bring it to your attention consistently. Newsflash! The "success" they brag about is null. What are you going to do about it? Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say, revenge is a dish best served by life. And life run it's course.

Have you looked in the mirror lately? I have. In the mirror is a reflection of who you are in that moment. Take that in, because once that moment leaves, you'll never get it back. Now think about those naysayers. What do they really have going for them? Insecurities. That's all. They look at you and they see something they wish they had. The power of the metamorphosis, I've learned, is like no other. The best part? You come out a new person. The people who should be there will be there and life serves those haters a hot plate of karma with a capital "K".

And I'll continue to do my body rolls and my hip locks: flawless and on beat.

"One and two and three and four. Five, six, seven and eight and..."



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

.

Get GxS Daily

Enter your email address: